This IC/DoD enterprise encoding specification defines requirements and provides guidelines for the realization of the Content Discovery and Retrieval (CDR) Search component as both a RESTful, OpenSearch [OS] web service and using the SOAP binding, hereafter termed a Search Service. This component provides a common interface and behavioral model for IC and DoD content collections, enabling content consumers to discover relevant content resources from disparate collections across the IC/DoD Enterprise. The content of this specification describes the Search Service’s behavior, interface and other aspects in detail, providing enough information for Search Service providers and consumers to create and use CDR-conformant Search services.
The Search service exposes a single Search operation that is responsible for three activities that underpin Content Discovery capabilities: search, result presentation, and results paging. A Search service’s results are resource metadata rather than actual content resources. In the context of Search, resource metadata generally refers to a subset of a resource’s available metadata, not the entire underlying record. Results normally contain information needed for a consumer to retrieve or otherwise use the referenced resource. Value Proposition
This specification supports Intelligence Community Directive 501(ICD 501), Discovery, Dissemination or Retrieval of Information within the Intelligence Community
, which establishes policies for (1) discovery, and (2) dissemination or retrieval of intelligence and intelligence-related information collected, or analysis produced by the Intelligence Community.
Compliance with this specification is measured against all aspects of the technical and documentary artifacts contained within the specification release package. This specification is maintained by the IC Chief Information Officer via the Services Coordination Activity (SCA) and Content Discovery and Retrieval Integrated Product Team (CDR IPT).
This specification is designed to fulfill a number of requirements in support of the transformational efforts of the Intelligence Community and Department of Defense Enterprise(IC/DoD). Features of this specification are to:
- Searching through content and metadata in multiple formats as specified by the consumer, such as image files and textual documents.
- Searching through information content that is static, dynamic, structured and unstructured.
- Enable searching through and appropriately processing of information content and metadata at different classification levels, and with different handling caveats; information which could be located on different security domains.
- Searching through natural language content (probably in many different languages) or highly formatted content such as geospatial or temporal content. (Data sources can be active [current, dynamically changing] or historic [static], each containing different data types).
Latest Approved Versions
- IC/DoD REST Interface Encoding Specification for CDR Search, Version 1.1 (12 May 11)
- IC/DoD SOAP Interface Encoding Specification for CDR Search, Version 1.1 (12 May 11)